Inside of air compressor, there exists an internal oil water separator, so to say, oil-water Separator internals performs the task of separating the water from the oil and suspended solids that stay within the compressor. This is the oil that is used for lubing the rotary screw as well as other internal parts or sections. In addition to this internal component of Separator internals, one can also avail the usage of an external oil-water separator.
During the compression procedure, contaminants from outside like water vapor and dust particles, grime, etc., are mixed in with the hot oil. Upon the cooling down of the air towards the end of the compression procedure, contaminated condensate tends to generate. If this moisture gets accumulated anywhere in the distribution system mainly consisting of air receivers, filter bowls, or moisture separators, the condensate will enter the compressed air system resulting in damage to the equipment thereby destroying and disrupting the final product. Owing to this unavoidable, expensive, and ugly by-product of using compressed air, an oil water separator, being a part of the Separator internals, is of utmost necessity and highly beneficial to any compressed air operation.
Oil water separators of the Separator internals are specifically designed and formulated for targeting oil based on the gravity difference between oil and water, enabling heavier solids (sludge) to settle down to the bottom whilst oil rises to the top, leaving additional wastewater in the middle layer. Sludge can then be scraped away; oil can be skimmed off the top with wastewater moving along for further treatment.
Now the question arises: How exactly does an oil water separator of Separator internals function?
After wastewater passes through filters of oil water Separator internals, for separating out the largest solids, it’s funneled into the oil water separator to undergo treatment. In most cases, wastewater travels across a series of chambers. As wastewater passes through chambers, oil particles get tumbled out of the surface, allowing them to collect and form larger globules increasing buoyancy. This aids in more of the oils getting separated and rising to the top of the water. Oil water separator ensures the removal of the vast majority of oil and soil.
An oil water separator being a part of the Separator internals, enables the reduction of compressed air waste treatment expenses, whilst simultaneously earning the trusted tag of being eco-friendly. These separators employ a patented multi-state filtration method that segregates contaminants from the condensate. The contaminants are then trapped in the first stage of the filtration process and get polished in the second stage tower, leaving only the draining out of clean and clear water.
A Comprehensive Lowdown of the Functioning of Oil Water Separator Filters:
- Assimilation of untreated condensate enters the system.
- Condensates are accumulated via mufflers located in the integral expansion chamber where first-stage separation occurs by the method of depressurization.
- The depressurized condensate of oil water Separator internals filters thereafter flows into column A and then passes through an oleophilic media, made up of oil-absorbing fibers thereby allowing water to pass through.
- The oleophilic filter of oil water Separator internals tends to float in column A.
- This has an edge over others when it comes to absorbing residual oil floating on the surface.
- The additional weight of the oil makes the filter of oil water Separator internals to gradually sink because it gets more saturated ensuring that clean filter material always is in contact with the water’s surface.
- The indicator sticks at the top of column A display the status of the oil water Separator internals filter, and as the filter is consumed the sticks tend to sink. However, the filter needs to be changed or altered just before it is fully submerged.
- Thereafter, the prefiltered condensate is then directed into column B.
- Column B constitutes activated carbon, absorbing the remaining oil in the condensate. The large capacity of the system prevents any chances of spilling out in case the system is blocked or if the system produces humongous quantities of condensate.
- Clean water exits the disposable filter of the oil water Separator internals via the outlet port and is discharged from the oil water separator purifier of Separator internals. Oil content is estimated at 4 mg/gal, at reference conditions, at the outlet, a level allowing the condensate disposal without putting environmental conditions at stake.
Avail the best of mass transfer and separation technology applied in Oil & Gas Internals and others at S-Cube Mass Transfer Pvt. Ltd., – a prominent IS0 certified company in Pune, India, founded and helmed by Mr. Chetan B Sayankar in 2019, having global consultancy experience in Turnkey Process Plants delivering top-grade products and services at competitive prices and family-oriented commitment to customer service and satisfaction.
S-Cube Mass Transfer Pvt. Ltd. excels in Biodiesel, Pharma, Oil & Fats, Distillation Column Internals, etc., having and recruiting employees of high caliber and strong work ethics, working their way up and proving their skills and potential in respective fields.
S-Cube is a trustworthy partner in doling out innovative and sustainable product solutions for performing critical operations, adding value, and strengthening the competitive position of customers, following articulate thought processes and working mechanisms of Quick Adaptability, Customer-Centric Approach, Global Execution Experience, Cost Optimization Techniques & Long-Lasting Relationship with Customers, living up to its image of ‘Driven By Values, Delivering On Vision’. We let our work speaks for itself!